Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another Week in Antigua


We just ended our eleventh week in Antigua with another 3 or so weeks to go. Our original plan was to stay here for 3-4 weeks but that has quickly turned into 2-3 months. In any case, we feel this is a good opportunity for us to really improve our Spanish before moving on to the other countries. I, Agnes, have to admit I'm getting a bit bored of this little town. However, I know this is one of those few opportunities we'll ever get in our lifetimes to receive one-on-one Spanish instruction for a mere $4.50 an hour. Try to beat that in the US.

And for these $4.50/hr lessons, I have learned many helpful words/phrases, some of which I'll share below:

1. Ciruela pasa: Prunes
* Yo tengo problemas... Donde estas la ciruela pasas?
I have problems...where are the prunes.
This goes without saying I encounter digestion problems when I travel, and just recently found this word to be helpful, and also I just like the word.

2. Gallo: A local beer (cereveza, not chicken)
* Nosotros queremos una litre de Gallo.
We want a liter of Gallo.

3. Bombas: Firecrackers
* Que es aquel ruido?
What is that noise?
The typical response is: “It's firecrackers.” Firecrackers are set-off throughout the day from 6 a.m. in the morning, which is not amusing for neither Wilson nor I, to the late evenings in celebration of birthdays, random Saint holidays, Independence Day, etc.

4. Bano: Bathroom (I think this one is obvious)

5. Cafe con leche aparte: Coffee with the milk separate
Much of the cafe con leche here is milk with a little coffee. Therefore it has been helpful for us to learn how to order black coffee with the milk on the side.

6. Miedo vs Mierdo: Scared vs Shit
When I first got here, I use to say "Yo tengo mierdo," trying to say "I was scared" (of getting words wrong, for instance). However, I quickly learned I was saying "I have shit." I can just now say it without the R: MIEDO.

More Random Updates
The weather here has been very wet. As a matter of fact, tonight (Wednesday, 9/30), we had some major thunder showers throughout the day, flooding some of the central streets. I saw a bus and several Tuk Tuks (little cars like bicycles, only with a covers and three wheels rather than two) get stuck in the flood.

Wilson and I also ate at a phenomenal Italian restaurant for the first time in Guatemala. The food is not bad here for what it is (beans, vegetables and rice) but it definitely is not something we'd crave back in the States. I think Wilson mentioned in an earlier entry that our house mom is a wonderful cook, and I'll have to second that motion. But many of the restaurants we've been to have been very disappointing. Fortunately, tonight we were pleasantly surprised by this little Italian restaurant “EL PUNTO.” The restaurant is advertised in a local magazine “Que Pasa” as the only Italian restaurant in Antigua with homemade pasta. Skeptical of self-promoting ads and based on our previous experiences, we did not have high-expectations for the food. But to our surprise, the pasta was al dente, delicious and definitely homemade. As a matter of fact, this was some of the best pasta I've ever tasted (on par with the ones in SF). Although the wine was a bit flat and tasteless, I have to say the pasta made up for the wine!

Before dinner, we went to a lecture on Gang Violence in Guatemala at a local cafe, owned by an ex-pat (I think), Rainbow Cafe. The lecture was held by Juan Carlos, a director of a local non-profit organization that helps troubled youths and ex-members of gangs fit into society. He briefly explained how some of the major gangs in Guatemala were started in the early 80s, during the Civil War, with the original members in Los Angeles. His organization has helped over 600 troubled youths and ex-gang members find normal lives in local communities. He also explained how parts of Guatemala, especially in the Capital, are controlled by major gang and their activities. Juan also explained that in this country (or just in the capital of Guatemala, I forgot) there are nearly 15 deaths a day, the same number as the people getting killed in Iraq and other war-driven countries. Wilson (and possibly I since I like to follow) was interested in volunteering at this non-profit organization but unfortunately the offices are only located in the Capital (Guatemala City) in a pretty dangerous Zona (district) and a little town about two hours from Antigua. Since neither of these two options appealed to us, we may just donate to this cause.

1 comment:

sfvagabond said...

Nosotros queremos una litre de mierdo. Oyvey. HEhe.. You guys are well missed. Tonite I just caught game 7 of the ACLS finals with, you may already know, Boston and TampaBay. Ugh...It was a tough lost but I'm glad I caught it because it made me realize I gotta post somethin! Going to catch up on the rest of your post. Alex says Hi. We just got back from Taiwan and HongKong. Send u pix soon. Hi to both of you.

HastaLaPasta,
Loni